Tuesday, May 1, 2012

My Gothic Week

I have been having a gothic week. No, you do not need to worry. Phoenix continues to be perpetually sunny and dry (not that I have anything against settings that subvert the genre), and things in the so-called real world have progressed as expected these last few days. Instead, my gothic week has been a result of my movie and book choices.

It all started with my decision to re-watch Shutter Island, a movie that I actually enjoyed more the second time around, followed by some movie-going to see The Raven, a film that pays homage to Poe through a very, very fictionalized rendition by John Cusack. In the meantime, I ordered three novels with gothic elements, continued to read The Ghost Writer, added Ghost Writer (a completely different story) to my Netflix queue, made a written allusion to Rebecca and The Castle of Otranto, and skimmed through The Picture of Dorian Gray. Decidedly gothic week, you say? You bet!

I’m probably the millionth person to say that novels and movies with gothic elements are strangely comforting. Is it the relief of not being in that particular stronghold that allures? Is it the rush of adrenaline after a scare? Is it because the gothic allows us to externalize fears that live inside all of us?

I’m inclined to suggest that it is all of the above and more. Gothic tales usually present some puzzle for the reader/viewer to solve; therefore, for the duration of our reading or watching, we are forced to suspend our own problems and engage with the problems and mysteries of others. In the process, our brains get a welcome break.

So here is a sample of my gothic must-read list (it is really long; here are a few highlights):

The Thirteenth Tale – By Diane Setterfield
The Shadow of the Wind – By Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Rebecca – By Daphne du Maurier
The Picture of Dorian Gray – By Oscar Wilde
A Reliable Wife – By Robert Goolrick

(I am skipping the very obvious Wuthering Heights and anything Poe as well as my favorite Austen, Northanger Abbey)

And here is my current to-read list:

The House at Midnight – By Lucie Whitehouse
Mysteries of Winterthurn and Mudwoman – Both by Joyce Carol Oates
Half Broken Things – By Morag Joss

Don’t be mad at me if your favorites are missing (many of mine are too!). Instead contribute to other people’s reading lists by adding your own choices.

Happy reading!