Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The Grey Area



This past week, I was browsing the bookracks at a popular store, looking for John Irving’s In One Person so as to add to the ever-growing list of books I want to read (at the rate I am going, I will be done with the current titles by 2030!). Suddenly, as I reached the bestsellers section, I was surprised to notice that a large area of the top shelf was completely empty. Guessing the reason, I looked closer to decipher the contents of the little yellow tag under the desolate metal structure: yep, my hypothesis was confirmed – the area was reserved for books one, two, and three of the Grey trilogy.

Let me digress here. Writers usually take one of two approaches to looking at a book phenomenon. Some completely embrace the trend, read avidly, worship the writer, and dream of the day it will be them achieving that kind of success and publicity. Others scoff at the craze and grump their way in and out of the misery they feel over the state of things: and why do people want to read this, and what could they possibly see in this book, and this is what literature has become, etc. etc.

Me, I take a different approach (I know writers who are right there with me): I go to work. First, I read the material in question (most likely with a highlighter, or two, or three in hand). Then, I try to assess what other people are thinking and saying. Finally, I try to put myself in the shoes of the average reader. Only then do I decide what lesson I can draw from that particular work and its approach to writing (I did the same with Harry Potter, which I love, and Twilight, err, not so much). And sure enough there is always a lesson to be learned.

The first thing to notice about Fifty Shades of Grey is that it is currently number one on Amazon’s best seller list and a bunch of other lists. Book two and three are second and third respectively. It seems silly to me not to try to understand what is behind such success, so I read the work cover to cover. As a consequence, the second thing I learned (I have only read book one) is that Fifty Shades is (how shall I put this?) an uninhibited book, and this feature is undoubtedly at the center of its success. Let’s hand it to E.L. James: she was able to figure out what kind of sensual fantasy would appeal to a large number of women (and some men) of different ages, socio-economic profiles, educational levels, and life interests in the year 2012, and this is no small feat. The social scientist in me kept reflecting on contemporary women and their lives, and the kinds of dynamics that have caused them to crave this book and its content. Call it luck, call it a calculated move; James’s strategy must have worked because women are buying these books by the bushel.

Then comes the difficult part. The more I write my own fiction, the harder it becomes to critique other works because I know how much labor goes into crafting a novel and how much courage it must have taken this writer to write what she did. But as I read through the pages, I noticed I was much more offended by the multiplying dangling participles than by the content, more taken aback by the relentless repetition of the same facial expressions, exclamations, and phrases than by the lack of verisimilitude in the plot, by the multitude of British vocabulary items coming out of American mouths without any possible explanation other than the fact that the author is British (the most distracting ones being ‘”laters,” “ringing” instead of “calling” and university “tutors”).

I stopped to think about this and wondered if I was noticing language so much because I am a writer and a teacher (and a grammar nerd). So I went on to read what the reviews of readers who did not like the book were about, and sure enough they were complaining about the same things.  The hard question is despite these problems, many of them editorial in nature, the books are selling like hotcakes, and really, where do you go from being number one? The answer eludes me, and yet as a writer, one who often engages in a sort of adoration of language, I cannot ignore these flaws. Have I become the grump in my second paragraph, the one that lifts the hands to the sky asking why right after he/she throws the book against the wall? Not at all. I wish James continued success. There is a place for everyone under the sun. And perhaps one of those discontented readers will one day pick up one of my books, and if I got it right, they will smile, knowing that someone understands. 

(Caution: Fifty Shades of Grey contains adult content that might not be suitable for some readers)